This is the move of a lifetime. You’re going to be seeing new places, new things, and new people. It’s important to make sure that you’re prepared for everything that comes your way. With these tips you will have a better idea of what to expect and what to do.
1. Take an inventory of what you have and what you’re willing to part with. If it’s old or dirty, it might be time to throw it away. If it’s worth taking, pack it all up, and if it’s valuable you should keep a record of it and decide whether or not to insure it on the epic move.
2. Photographs are a good record if you have a ton of stuff. Replacement cost insurance is the only kind worth getting because the others are based on weight. Put things together according to the room you packed them in. This will help you stay organized when you arrive and prevent you from looking for that one item because it was packed into the box from another room.
3. When you pack your boxes, number them and list exactly what is in what box. That way if you are missing one, you will know exactly what was in it and how much it was worth.
4. Look around for the best value on moving trailers and trucks. It’s usually easiest to hire a moving company because trained professionals have more practice lifting heavy furniture and won’t scrape the walls of your new house. Ask friends for recommendations and after shopping around you may even be able to bargain a little.
5. Think about your vehicle options. If taking the journey across country is something that you would be interested in, don’t forget to think about the reliability of your car and the expense of gas. You need to think about the weather, the route, where you will stay, what you will eat, and possible maintenance. While this trip is a great experience, driving across a three thousand mile continent is more than a spur of the moment decision – it’s an investment in time, money and your vehicle.
6. Auto transporting is another, more practical option. Usually auto shipping companies take no more than 10- 14 days to deliver your vehicle if you’re moving across the country and even less time if you’re moving only halfway. Most car transport services protect against damages that occur along the way, as long as you recognize them immediately upon arrival. If you want, pictures again may be helpful here. Go with a company that is reliable and that meets your desires in terms of price. Buying a plane ticket and auto car transport is the easiest option, but don’t forget to plan ahead for your transportation needs upon arrival.
Once you’ve got all of these things taken care of, it’s time to sit back and let it all wash over you. You are going to be experiencing things that you never have before, which can be difficult, but it will also be rewarding and fun.